This week has mostly seen the boyfriend and I trying to outdo each other with our culinary adventures culminating tonight in Succulent pork steaks with minted spring greens and roasted root veg.
The man has expertly cooked mini fruit tartlets, steak and baby new roasted potatoes and also chicken Börek with a minted yogurt (apologies for the not so great photo- I was starving!).
My attempt to outdo him consisted of making spinach english muffins, crumpets, eggs benedict and dinner with 7 vegetables!
Following the decadence of eating the borek yesterday and eggs benedict this morning, I decided that we would steer clear of the usual roast and all the trimmings, and instead cooked (after a well needed venture to the gym!) a pork steak with roasted root veg & minty spring greens! The abundance of colour in this dish makes my heart skip, and my mouth water!
I do not have any formal nutritional qualifications, but I do hold store in the idea that eating a multitude of colours in your diet makes it far more appetisizing!
Pork chops with 7 kinds of veg!
- 1/2 Butternut squash- cubed
- 1 parsnip, cubed
- 2 large carrots, cubed (the ones available at the minute are humongous)
- 1/2 white onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon
- Thyme, oregano and rosemary
- 2 pork steaks
- 1 large courgette; thinly sliced
- 100g spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- Sprigs of mint, roughly chopped (I have some frozen so just crunched it up a little)
- knob butter (I used the pour off from the hollandaise sauce from this morning)
- drizzle of olive oil